Chess Cake Unique


Chess Cake
Hey guys it’s Ro! Welcome to another Nerdy Nummies! Ro: Today I have a very special guest, Kurt! Kurt: What is up guys!?! Ro: Kurt is awesome, he has an awesome music channel, and he writes music, Ro: composes music, plays like, every instrument. Since I’ve known you you’re Ro: like, oh I can play piano and harp and guitar and, like, everything. Ro: He’s pretty boss sauce! Kurt: I try, I’m not good a cooking though, so… Kurt: Uh, gotta rely on her though. Ro: He’s pretty cute though, you’re welcome! Ro: So today we are gonna be making a chess cake, and I thought to invite him because Ro: what is your experience with chess? Kurt: I played chess competitively for a really long time. 
Ro: Nerd! Kurt: A lot of people… Definitely, definitely a nerd! Uh, a lot of people don’t know Kurt: I was a chess master at the age of 15 and, uh, but then I stopped playing Kurt: when I got into college and wanted to do more music and now that’s what I’m doin! Ro: Awesome, it’s time to bake! Both: Pew-pew-pew-pew-pew! Ro: What you’ll need is: Pam Baking spray, a square baking pan, Ro: this is a 12 inch by 12 inch, 1 pink spatula, 2 cups of water, 2 sticks of butter. Kurt: And what you’ll also need is a nest of Dinosaur eggs, and if you can’t find Kurt: those, then maybe 6 normal eggs will work for you as well! Ro: Maybe they will, maybe they will. Kurt: Ah-da-da-da-da-da-da! Kurt: 2 butter box cakes, and a big bowl to throw it all in. Ro: Big bowl! Let’s put it all together! Kurt: Let’s do it! Ro: Yeah! Ro: OK, now we’re gonna put everything together, starting with the 2 box cakes. 

Kurt: Alright. Ro: And box cakes, they just save a lot of time, because they’re Ro: already pre-mixed flour, sugar and baking soda, but you can use your favorite Ro: cake recipe if you don’t want to use a box cake. Kurt; I think even I can do this. Ro: Yeah you can! Dump it in there! Kurt: I got it! Ro: Dump it in there! Oh, yeah, here. Kurt: Ahm-nam-nam-nam. Ro: Ahm-nam-nam-nam. Ro: Next you’re gonna add 2 cups of water, wahhhhhp! And then 6 eggs. Kurt: No! Not my eggs! Ro: It’s OK honey, we’ll make some more! Ro: OK, I’m gonna teach you a pro egg crack, are you ready for this? Kurt: Sweet, I’m ready! Ro: OK, just a 1 handed crack, you’re gonna crack, twist. Kurt: What? What is this magic? Ro: Can you do that? OK, your turn. Crack, twist. Kurt: OK… Ro: With your hand. Kurt: Are you sure you want me to do this over this bowl. Ro: Yeah, yeah! Ro: Crack, twist… Whoa! That was pretty good for your first one! Kurt: That was not good! Ro: Now you’re gonna add 2/3 of butter, so we’re gonna cut right here. Ro: And I'll let you put that in there. Kurt: Awesome. Ro: Minus the paper… Pro tip. Kurt: I figured, I figured as much. Ro: You’re like a genius, I probably don’t need to tell you that. Kurt: Paper probably doesn’t taste as good. Ro: You’re a math major huh? Kurt: I was. Ro: This will come in handy when we’re Ro: making all the chess pieces, I’m gonna make you do the math on it. Kurt: Awesome, I’m ready. Ro: I’m just gonna sit back, let you do the work. Ro: Perfect, I love having guests! Here you go! Bake that! Ro: Last step is greasing this big pan. Remember this is a 12x12 but you can Ro: also use a 10x10 if you'd like. Alright, here’s the pam baking spray, open that Ro: up just like hairspray and spray it in there. I’m gonna hide behind it a little Ro: bit because I don’t want to, you know.

 Kurt: Defend yourself! Ro: OK, oh-ho-ho! Ro: Now it’s time to mix it all up! Ro: Now we’re gonna pour all of the batter once it’s all mixed into the pan. Ro: OK, you grab the bowl. Kurt: Let’s do it! Ro: And I’ll get the pink spatula. Kurt: Does it not work if it isn’t pink? Ro: It does not work if your spatula Ro: isn’t pink. Kurt: Didn’t know that. Ro: Now we’re just gonna flatten it like this. And then I’m gonna have you pick it Ro: up and kinda go like this… Pound it on the table, just… Kurt: Like actually hit it on the table? Ro: No, yeah, actually hit it. Ro: That lets it settle, brings all the air bubbles up. And now, we’re gonna Ro: throw this in the oven. We’re gonna put it in the oven at 350 and bake Ro: for about 40 minutes. Ro: While the cake is baking, we are gonna make all the little decoration pieces Ro: for the chess cake, with chocolate. Yum-yum-yum-yum-yum! Ro: To decorate, we’re gonna be using these candy molds, they’re chess candy molds, Ro: I’ll put a link down below so you can buy these online if you’d like. Ro: They were really hard to find, I went to like 4 different cake stores Ro: to buy these things. Kurt: They look awesome! Ro: You’ll also need this square candy mold, and these are an inch and a 1/2 squares Ro: And they’ll fit perfectly on top of the 12x12 cake. Ro: So Kurt, math question. Kurt; Mmmhmm, yeah. Ro: Ready? How many squares Ro: Are we gonna need for our chess board? Kurt: Well, you’re gonna need 64 squares for your chess board, 32 black and 32 white. Ro: You passed. Kurt: Awesome, great! Ro: He’s smart, he passes. Kurt: I’m glad I get your approval. Ro: OK, and you’ll also need dark and white chocolate, so right here we have white Ro: candy melts and dark chocolate candy melts, and we put them in these Ro: microwaveable safe plastic swerk bottle… Plastic squirt bottles! Kurt: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! Ro: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah! Ro: I cannot talk today! And you’re just gonna microwave these and then we’re gonna Ro: squirt them into all the trays. Kurt: I made more eggs.

 Ro: Oh my gosh they smell so good! Kurt: They look different this time. Both: Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom, nom! Kurt: Oh! Dom, nom, nom, nom, nom, nom! Ro: Nom, nom, nom, nom, nom! Ro: Oooooooh! Ohp! Kurt: Ohhhh no! Ro: Pfft! Both: Hahahaha! Ro: Pfft! Ro: We’re super mature! Ro: When we play chess, I want to play the white and you play the dark. Kurt: Sounds good. Ro: Are you gonna play me? On our cake? Kurt: I’ll play you blindfolded. Ro: Blindfolded? Kurt: Yeah I’ll play blindfolded. Ro: You heard it, we’re gonna play chess blindfolded… He’s gonna be blindfolded. Ro: First we’re gonna make the chocolate squares, and I’ll show you how to do 1 Ro: and then I’ll let you do it. Kurt: Awesome. Ro: OK, so we melted our chocolate and you’re just gonna go, like, around the corners and then Ro: go zig-zag. And then we’ll fill him in later with a toothpick. So just go Ro: around the corners, zig-zag! Ro: With these little square molds, you don’t want to fill them all the way to Ro: the top, it’s actually better to under fill them because they’ll lay flatter Ro: on the cake. So that’s why we’re leaving some space. Ro: So, when you’re looking at this, how there’s little holes everywhere. Kurt: Mmmhmm.

Ro: That’s fine! Because what we’re gonna do is take a little Ro: toothpick. You grab 1 and I’ll grab 1. Kurt: Awesome. Kurt: Ro’s gonna fix all my mistakes. Ro: And you just push it in the corner and Ro: tap, tap-tap-tap-tap-tap! Ro: Now we’re gonna put these in the freezer for about 10 minutes and we’re gonna Ro: make all of our little chess pieces. Kurt: Let’s do it! Ro: Yeah! Ro: Now you’re gonna take your melted chocolates, and they’re in these Ro: microwaveable safe squeeze bottles and you’re just gonna fill in the chess pieces Ro: and again you’re gonna want to under fill them just a little bit. And then Ro: we’ll stick them together after they come out of the freezer. Ro: Kurt those look so good. Kurt: Thank you! Ro: Look it, they’re perfectly Ro: Flat, that’s how you want them to look, really really flat, because after… Ro: We’re gonna make 2 of the white, 2 of the dark, and then stick them together Ro: with a little bit of hot chocolate. So we’re gonna put these in the freezer again Ro: for 10 minutes. Ro: Once your chess pieces are all done in the freezer, what you’re gonna do is Ro: just take a flat piece of anything, it can be cardboard, a plate, whatever. Ro: Flip ‘em over and just kinda tap ‘em out. Most of ‘em should just come Ro: out easy. Oh that was perfect! Oh 1 more, 1 more! 

Kurt: This 1 does not want to go. Ro: Oh yeah! Ro: And then you’re gonna take your squirt bottle, then you’re just gonna Ro: squeeze on a little bit of hot chocolate onto each side. Kurt: Glue them together with chocolate. Ro: Yeah, glue them together with chocolate! Kurt: How much should I put on? Ro: That’s good! Kurt: That’s good? Ro: Just a little bit. Kurt: On both sides? Ro: Yeah! And then you’re just gonna Ro: put them together. Oh they’re gonna make out! And then just hold them into Ro: place for about 10 seconds. And there you have it! Chess pieces. Ro: And then you’re gonna do this to all of your little chess pieces. Kurt: 1 down. Ro: 1 down! How many more to go? Kurt: 31. Ro: 31 more to go, I knew that. Kurt: You got that 1. Ro: I knew that. Ro: Here are all of our pieces, they’re all made, we made all of the chess Ro: pieces, and all of our little squares. And Kurt found out something really funny. Kurt: I’m pretty sure this dinosaur was made the same way we made these chess pieces. Ro: Awww! Kurt: There’s a huge line running down the middle, it was most definitely Kurt: assembled from 2 halves. Ro: Look at this, they probably just glued him Ro: together with chocolate. Ro: Now we’re gonna put it all together and... Kurt: Play Chess! Ro: play some chess, where I will win! Kurt: I don’t think so.

 Ro: Once your cake comes out of the oven, make sure it’s had plenty of time to cool, Ro: and what we did is we leveled off the cake using a cake leveler, and Ro: we just took a little bit off the top, you don’t need to do a lot. Ro: And then I took a huge bag of dark chocolate, put it in this zip lock bag, just Ro: put any kind of a tip on it because we’re just using it to distribute, Ro: and here we go! Kurt’s gonna help turn it, but I’m just gonna put it on the top Ro: of the cake, and then we’ll smooth it all out. Ro: Then you’re just gonna take a big mustache-uler and lightly smoothen like this. Kurt: Is that the technical name for it? Ro: Yeah that’s the technical name for it! Ro: So the reason we put so much frosting on the top of the cake is because we want Ro: a lot of room to play with. Kurt: And because we really like frosting! Ro: And because it’s really, really good! Ro: When we’re placing all the squares on top, it will help us determine how deep Ro: we want to push in every little square. So, just having a little bit of excess wiggle Ro: room is really helpful. Ro: Once your cake is all done and it’s all frosted, we’re gonna put it into the Ro: freezer to let it chill for about 10 minutes, and then we’re gonna put Ro: all of our little pieces on! Ro: We just took the cake out of the freezer and it’s nice and chilled, Ro: and we’re gonna take this weird triangular, rigid, looks like teeth or something Ro: like Domo Kun’s teeth. And we’re just gonna run it along all the sides Ro: of the cake to give it a little texture look. Kurt: Cake looks amazing. 

Ro: Yes! Kurt: We’re gonna put the squares on the board. Ro: Mmmhmmm. Kurt: And they alternate. Ro: Should I just start in a corner? Kurt: Why not? Ro: Line it up… Ro: Da-dew! Kurt: Psssh! Ro: We just finished putting all the little chocolate Ro: squares on the cake, and it looks awesome! It looks like marbled! Kurt: It looks… Are you ready for some chess? Ro: Oh yeah. Kurt: It’s ready for some chess playing. Ro: It’s ready! Ro: But before we play, I just need to put a little more frosting around the edges to Ro: do a little fancy edging, and then put all the little chess pieces on top! Ro: Ta-da! We got all of our fancy edging all around the cake so it looks Ro: super cool. Kurt: Elite cake skills. Ro: And now Kurt’s gonna teach me, yeah, Ro: yeah! How to put all these little pieces on. And what were you saying about Ro: the corner, if we’re facing each other this way, you want to play each other. Kurt: Yeah, so when you set up the board, make sure the white square is in the Kurt: lower right. Ro: Right square… OK. Kurt; You don’t want to set up like this Kurt: where you have a black square in the lower right, so just always the white Kurt: square in the lower right. And then you set it up pawns all here and then in Kurt: the corner you got your rooks, your knights, your bishops, and your queen Kurt: and king, and the queen always goes on her color, so if you’re playing white Kurt: queen goes on the white square, if you’re playing black, queen goes on Kurt: a black square. Ro: Huh, really!?! So she would go right here, on a white Ro: square? Kurt: Yeah, that’s right. Ro: Perfect! OK. Kurt: Let’s do it! Ro: Now we’re gonna put on all these little pieces! Ro: Ta-da! Our cake turned out, it looks so cool! I love it! Kurt: It looks awesome, the pieces look really good! Ro: Yeah, they turned out Ro: so good! I cannot wait to play, so after this video at the end credits, we Ro: are gonna play a game of chess. Ro: And thank you Kurt for being here on Nerdy Nummies! Kurt: Thanks so much for having me! I’m glad I didn’t ruin it too much! Ro: No, you did a good job! I’ll put his links down below so you can go check Ro: out his music and subscribe, it is amazing! And, if you have any other ideas Ro: for any other Nerdy Nummies, please let me know, leave me a comment down below Ro: and I will do my best to make it happen! Ro: OK, bye-bye you guys! Kurt: Bye! Ro: Are you ready? Kurt: Yes! Ro: It’s ON! Ro: OK, we are about to do speed chess we got the champ right here, Ro: And I’m gonna blindfold him with my fancy scarf that I got at the gap, OK, so… Kurt: Gonna play blindfolded. Ro: Are you ready? Kurt: Yeah, let’s do it! Ro: Can you see? Kurt: Nope. Ro: Is it over your eyes? Kurt: It is. Ro: And Jared is gonna be moving the pieces for him. Go, go go! Ro: And I’ll go on this side. Ro: OK, do I go first or do you go first? Kurt: Uh, white always goes first in chess. Kurt: So, you got it. Ro: Ladies go first! OK, ready, set, go! Jared: Pawn to A4. Kurt: Cool, pawn on E7 to E5. Jared: E7 to E5... Jared: So, uh. Ro: B… 3 Jared: B2 to B3, pawn. Kurt: Bishop on F8 to C5 Ro:

 This feels like Wizard’s Chess! Jared: Alright, so pawn from D2 to D3… Oh no sorry, C1 to C2... C2 to C3, sorry. Kurt: All good, all good. Mmmmm, queen on D8 to F6. Jared: Uh, so Pawn from H2 to H3. Kurt: Hmmm, well, let’s see, Queen on F6 takes F2. Jared: Takes F2 Kurt: Checkmate... Jared: Yep, alright. Ro: Is that checkmate? Jared: Yeah, that’s checkmate. Kurt: It is. Ro: Oh my gosh, Kurt come look at this. Background: Did we set it up right at least? Jared: Yeah. Kurt: Oh, OK, that’s checkmate too, but I was saying queen takes, but yeah. Jared: Oh well either way. Kurt: It doesn’t actually matter which pieces you take Kurt: but… Hah! Ro: Welp, there it is, speed chess! Hahaha! Jared: So you could have checkmated her with 2 different moves! Ro: Yeah! Ro: Kurt like, annihilated me! Oh my god, Kurt, you beat me in 4 moves… 4! Kurt: Yup. Ro: He’s amazing! And super smart. Don’t play chess with him. Kurt: No, what’s even more amazing is that this actually looks like a real chess set! Kurt: And it’s all chocolate! Well I can make the cakes, you can play the game, Ro: good god! Oh yeah, well, I make my own rules! And, checkmate! Kurt: Until I eat it! Ro: OK, I’m gonna play until I beat you. Kurt: we’re gonna be here awhile. Ro: OK, ready? Ro: Can he go here? Kurt: Bishop’s defending it actually. Background: Yeah you can't do that Ro. Ro: Oh I can’t do that? I can’t do that, I can’t do that! OK, here! Ro: That’s my… That’s my… Kurt: It was, it was your queen. Ro: Haha, I got a horsey! Background: Uh oh, the Queen's on the move! Oh, this isn't good! Ro: Can I? Background: No, only diagonally, move your pawn up 1, maybe that will do something... Nope. Kurt: Check, no you’re in check. Ro: Ohhhh! Background: No you're not done, you're not over yet! Ro: Oh no, I can't do that either! Kurt: Check. Ro:: Oh no I just delayed it! Background: Move your king up 1! Ro: Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm,hmm! Kurt: Oh, ohp! The fallen king! Kurt: Hmmm, let’s see, I’ll just do this. It’s really easy to drop pieces Kurt: off the edge of the board. Kurt: Check. Ro: Gah! Background: Well at least kill the queen, at least kill the queen, yes! Background: And you lose to him anyway Ro: Oh I lost to a pawn! Ro: That was amazing! Ro: Alright, good game.


Chess Cake

Chess Cake