How To Make Unicorn Cake

[Nerdy Nummies theme, link in description] Hey guys, it's Ro! Welcome to another Nerdy Nummies! I got so many requests from you to make a unicorn cake, and not just any unicorn cake but a very specific cake that you have been sending me pictures of ideas on social media. It looks like a unicorn face. I'm so excited because I love unicorns. One, they are my sister's favorite animal. Two, they are magical. Three, they make everything better. A unicorn frappuccino. Better! A unicorn cookie. Better! A unicorn headband. Better! So today, we're gonna be making a magical unicorn cake! Let's get started! The recipe that we're making today is a Funfetti cake from scratch. The things you'll need will be: 2 cups of all-purpose flour; 1½ cups of sugar; 1 stick of salted butter, you'll want it at room temperature; 5 large egg whites; ¾ cup of whole milk; ¼ cup of shortening; ¼ teaspoon of almond extract; 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract; 2 teaspoons of baking powder; ⅛ teaspoon of salt; and ¼ cup of rainbow sprinkles! Now let's put it all together! First step is whisking together our dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add your flour, baking powder, and salty salty. Then, whisk together till well combined, and set off to the side. Next, in a large mixing bowl, cream together your butter, shortening, and sugar. *clinks glass* Get off there! Okay. Then, using an electric hand mixer, mix together until it's light and fluffy. I like to start on the low speed and work my way up to a medium. Now, add in your egg whites, one at a time. I've combined them all in a bowl, so just eyeball it. Gloop! Then mix it up, add the next egg. Mix it up, next egg, mix it up, next egg, mix it up. And last egg, mix it up. And don't forget to scrape down the sides. Now, add in your extracts. Vanilla, and almond. And, once again, mix it up! This smells so good! Ohh! We have our wet mixture, dry mixture, and milk. Now, alternate adding your dry mixture, and your milk, to the wet. Add a third of the dry. Mix it up! Half the milk. Mix it up! Second third of the dry. Mix it up! Last of the milk. Mix it up! Last of the dry. Mix it up! Don't forget to scrape down the sides. Our batter is almost ready, but we haven't added the magic yet! We need some rainbow sprinkles to make this a TRUE Funfetti cake! We're adding the fun! *unicorn fairy noises* Then, fold with a spatula. You don't want to use the electric mixer, because it may break apart your sprinkles, they're a little bit delicate! It's a cake party, but we have to be gentle. Look at that cake batter! THAT is fun! That is some Funfetti. It smells delicious! Now, evenly divide the batter between 3 cake pans. I'm using 6 round circle cake pans," greased and lined with a piece of parchment paper at the bottom to make it easier to remove the cake. Cakes are ready to bake! Heat your oven to 350°F and bake for about 30-35 minutes. Just keep your eyes on the cake while they bake. As soon as the top turns a golden brown, might be a good idea to poke with a cake tester, or, if you don't have a cake tester, you can use a toothpick. Just place in the toothpick, or the cake tester, then when you pull it out, and there's no batter sticking to it, the cake's ready. Once your cakes have baked, give them plenty of time to cool. Over here, I have leveled them. You can use a cake leveler like me, or a sharp cutting knife. Now, it is time to assemble our cake! In front of me, I have a little cake plate, and a turntable... *table spins* ...to make frosting a little bit easier! Take the first layer. Place it down! In a piping bag, I scooped in some vanilla buttercream frosting. I like to pipe an outline all the way around. Then, fill it in! And, using an offset spatula, smooth it out. Now add the next layer, and cover with frosting, just like we did before. Ooo! Look at all that Funfetti cake! Now for our top layer, remember this super cool trick. You're gonna flip your cake upside down, so the bottom of the cake is actually on the top! Frost the entire cake, starting at the top, then working your way around the sides. Once you've piped icing from the bottom to the top of the cake, take your large offset spatula. Gently press against the cake as you spin the turntable. To get the icing very smooth, you may have to spin it around a few times. Once you've smoothed the sides, the last thing I like to do is take your spatula, and bring in the top. Work your way, all the way around. After icing the cake, I placed it onto a cake stand. If you don't have a cake stand, place your cake on whatever you'd like to serve it on. A serving tray, a cake plate, whatever you have handy. I like this one 'cause it was light blue. And I've placed it on top of a turntable again. Next step is adding some decorations. With a bunch of different colored buttercream icings that I have over here, we're gonna pipe a bunch of these, all over the top. And cascading down the side to look like a unicorn's mane. *lip flapping* I've dyed the icings light purple, pink, darker purple, and blue. Kind of a pastel blend. I just thought these colors would look good together, but you can use any colors you'd like. I'm gonna start by piping rosettes with my light purple, and light pink. Both of these have an open star tip. This a #824. A rosette kinda looks like a little rose. You start on the inside, and work your way up. I always am scared the frosting's gonna just jump out at my hair. Same thing with the pink. Around, and lift. Now, I'm using the light pink, and a darker pastel purple, french tips. These are #4B. Pipe little dollops inbetween the rosettes. Last but not least, with our dark pastel purple and blue, pipe some kisses. The tips at the end of these are round circles, a #2A. Squeeze down, apply pressure, and then pull up, so it looks like a little Hershey's Kiss. Boop! I don't know why the noise helps, but it does! Helps me. Got our magical unicorn mane piped on. Now, it's time to pipe on the eyes. Over here, in a little piping bag, I have some black icing, with a number 4 tip. I'm keeping my eye desing very simple, by piping 2 arches, with some little lashes, but you can pipe any design you'd like. Our unicorn cake is almost done, but it is no unicorn, without a horn! So pop the cake in the fridge while we work on making our final decorations, the unicorn horn, and ears. First step is making the ears. In front of me, I have taped down a piece of wax paper, so the fondant won't stick to the surface. And I've got a little bit of powdered sugar. I'm gonna sprinkle a little bit down, on top of the wax paper. Spread it around, break off a little bit of white marshmallow fondant, and roll it flat. I have a teardrop and a smaller teardrop cookie cutter. Cut out 2 of each. I'm also taking a little dab of water. The water helps the fondant stick together. It acts as an adhesive. Then, to shape the ears, allow them to dry on top of something rounded. I'm just gonna use my fondant rolling pin, but you could also use a whisk, or another rolling pin. To make our unicorn horn, I have rolled out a tapered rope of fondant. It's thinner at one end, thicker at the other. I like to use a long lollipop stick, but if you don't have one of these at home, you could also use a wooden skewer. Take a little paintbrush, get some water on the end, and paint your lollipop stick. This will help the fondant attach. Now, twirl the fondant around the lollipop stick, to create a little unicorn horn! It kinda looks like one of those unicorn lollipops that you see at Disneyland, and they're all rainbowed and delicious! This is what the horn looks like. I've left some space of the lollipop stick at the bottom, so you can stick it into the cake. Now just let it sit out for 10-30 minutes to harden. Final step to making our fondant decorations, we're gonna paint them gold! Over here, I have some gold edible highlighter dust. A little bit goes a long way. You don't need to use a lot. Pour a little bit, into a small bowl. *doot doots* Then I'm adding some almond extract, so that when we're painting, it won't be streaky. You can actually use any clear alcohol. Look how pretty that is! Move the gold around. I wanna paint a liner on with this! This is so pretty! Now, paint the inner ear, and the whole horn gold! Just took the cake out of the fridge, it's chilled. Now the final decoration step. Add our horn, and ears. Oh my gosh! Lookity! Ta~DAAA!! Here is the unicorn cake that we made today, with a homemade Funfetti cake recipe. I've been seeing so many pictures of these kind of cakes all over social media. And I absolutely LOVED making this one. I'll be posting lots of pictures, and the recipe on: RosannaPansino.com, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You can check it out there. And if you guys make this cake, please take a picture, and send it to me. I love seeing your baking creations. It just makes me happy, it makes my day! Especially when it's unicorn! It's my sister's favorite animal! Well, it's a toss up between unicorns and the narwhals, which are unicorns of the sea. Fiddy-fiddy. If you have any other ideas, for any other Nerdy Nummies, please let me know, leave me a comment down below, and I will do my best to make it happen. Thanks again, you guys. Buh-bye! [Nerdy Nummies theme, link in description]